Clervaux Abbey and its churches

10649084 654750x425 428844664353 8272102677380214256 o 750x425 dsc 3615

The Benedictine Abbey of Saint Mauritius

The imposing Benedictine Abbey of Saint Mauritius, built in the neo-romantic style, towers majestically high above the town. It was built in 1909/1910 and settled by the Benedictines from the French abbey of St-Maur de Glanfeuil. The monks attend choral prayer seven times a day under the direction of the abbot. The crypt houses a very interesting photographic exhibition on the life and work of the Benedictines. The gift shop offers a selection of books and art objects of all kinds. There is a morning Mass every day at 10:30 am.

For more information, visit www.abbaye-clervaux.lu

 

750x425 DSC 1566

The parish church of Clervaux

The parish church was built in 1910/1911 in the Rhine romantic style and perches on a rocky ridge. The magnificent twin towers, the special melodic chime of the bells, and the interior of the church hold numerous worthwhile sights, including original works of art by the well-known church sculptor Piedboeuf from Achen.

750x425 dsc 3637 750x425 1280px-Clervaux Loreto Chapel int

The Loretto Chapel in Clervaux

On the east side of Clervaux, opposite the train station, stands the Loretto Chapel, named after the shrine of Marian pilgrimage in Loreto, Italy. The chapel dedicated to the "Virgin Mary, Salvation of the Sick" is located on the former estate of the Counts of Clervaux and was built in late Baroque style in 1762. The interior is covered with Rococo stucco décor and houses valuable furniture. The main altar is framed by two tomb monuments of marble and slate. The chapel was built in such a way that the tower, leaning against the chancel, could be used as a hermitage, which explains the location of a small platform above what is now the high altar.

750x425 Kirche Munshausen 01 750x425 b517d9d31fea80166e341f9fac1393cf9cd257fd

The gothic church in Munshausen

The patron saint of the church is Saint Hubertus, the great missionary of the Ardennes. The church was built on the ruins of a pagan sacrificial site and, seen from the east side, rises on a small hill. It is a typical Ösling village church, adapted to the harsh climate of the Ardennes. Together, the low, sunken nave, the high gothic chancel, the fortress-like yet slender tower next to it, the burial chapel of the Counts of Clervaux, the peculiar vestibule, and the sacristy all make up a richly structured group that will delight antiquity enthusiasts and art buffs.